Monday, July 28, 2014

Jesus Christ


Life is sometimes really difficult. Actually, often, it is so confusing that it almost seems impossible. Missionary life is no different, but for some reason, I thought it would be.

For some reason, I thought that being set apart as a missionary would automatically make me immune to the diseases of the world. Not physical ailments; I can deal with that. I mean being spiritually... wracked. I mean the colds, illnesses, and diseases of the mind and soul that human nature and the worldly vices cause.

Somehow, I had gotten it into my mind that missionaries are always super spiritual, and always Christlike, and always excited about everything, and always happy. I thought those things came easily to missionaries. They were like superheroes in my mind: people to aspire to become like. What I didn't realize is that I was aspiring to become like Christ, because He is the only person to walk this Earth that could ever match that description. The only person who could match the definition of a good missionary the way I saw it, is Jesus Christ. The same Christ that makes us Christians.

Time and time again, I have been told that I am not Christian. I can point out on my name tag and the name of His Church, Christ's name, a million and two times and they still will not see it. That's how it is for them, though. I was reading in John as I thought about this. John is my favorite book in the Bible I do think. It's so full of just what I need! He was talking about how there were those who did not recognize Christ even though He stood right before them.

I want everyone to know, it is okay. It's alright that many do not recognize that missionaries and members alike are representatives of Christ. Some may never will see Him in anyone. As sad as it makes me, it is their choice to come closer to Christ, not mine. And it is not our place to judge them for that. There will come a day when they will understand, and that day, I hope you will stand with Christ. Knowing Him.

Sincerely,

Sister Palmer
A California Riverside Missionary

No comments:

Post a Comment